We have a claw anchor connected directly with a normal shackle. On a couple of occasions it has sort of "flipped" and caused the wrong angle so the anchor won't set. The inelegant but effective solution is to wrap the shackle /chain/anchor area with duct tape that prevents that from happening. The photo you show should prevent the problem we have.
One comment with the claw. It has generally worked ok except one occasion in British Columbia where we set then it bounced loose. Letting out more scope didn't help. When we pulled it up it had a nice round soccer ball-sized rock nicely nested in the claw. If I were to replace it I would go Rocna or Manson.